Windows Server Engineer – Investment Bank
Global Investment Bank requires experienced Windows Server Engineer to join a global windows engineering team based in London.
Key Skills: demonstrable track record of working as a senior server engineer within a large and complex global IT organization; proven experience with Windows Server operating system architecture and engineering; experience as an engineer operating in both design and support capacity; MS Windows 12/16; Active Directory 2008 (hands on experience); scripting experience, preferable PowerShell.
Desirable: experience of working with AWS and/or MS Azure from the perspective of moving server, applications and data centres to the cloud; VMWare; Routing, switching and firewall fundamentals
My client is a tier 2 Investment Bank with multiple sites across the globe, with 3 main hubs in the US, London, and Hong Kong and around 38 regional offices across the world. The user base is around 5000 with approximately 500 technology staff within the bank. This role will sit in a 7-man Windows Server Engineering team which is split across 3 offices in the US, London and India.
The role requires a senior windows professional with a proven track record of engineering, as well as 3rd line support administration. You will be a strong problem solver and enjoy handling and overcoming infrastructure related challenges. You will be well versed in the MS platform from an infrastructure perspective, but the successful candidate will almost certainly be comfortable working on a MS development platform. The main stakeholders for this role will be the global application groups to help define standards.
Day to day responsibilities will include:
- Participate in development and architectural strategy, including technology standardization and modernization
- Lead the MS Server operating discipline, ensuring proper interaction with other engineering groups
- Troubleshoot and identify problems in support of on-call person with level 2/3 expertise
- Automate operating system build and deployment
- Ensure ongoing evolution of the MS server operating system to support business requirements
- Work with dev teams to ensure standards
The role will therefore be a blend of engineering and 3rd line systems administration, with a rough 50:50 split between project and support work. Some of the key projects that are ongoing throughout 2019 are:
- Cloud migration – a large number of initiatives to move servers, applications and data centres to the cloud using AWS and Azure
- Server and SQL 2008 – end of life program
- AD upgrade from 2008 to 2016
- Infrastructure upgrade on 38 global branch offices in locations such as Frankfurt, Paris, Milan, Tokyo and Singapore
This is a hugely exciting and challenging role that will suit experience Windows Engineering who are interested in learning and gaining exposure to new technologies as the bank moves towards a dev ops focused way of working.