|Job Purpose/summary||As a MS SQL Database Administrator (DBA), your primary function will be to operate and maintain SQL databases ensuring that systems are running optimally, ensuring availability, efficiency, security and recoverability.|
Overlapping periods of build/project tasks may be expected, however this is not part of the primary function.
List the 8-12 key responsibilities
- Understanding, articulating, and operating SQL Database platform management
- Ensuring SQL database platforms are running 24/7
- Monitoring incoming Database Events, Incident and Request Queues in line with SLAs and acting upon.
- Using Database monitoring tools to manage events and incidents and improve monitoring thresholds in line with Database workload
- Database and SQL performance tuning recommendations
- Cultivating and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including end-users, change/incident managers, engineers, and senior staff members
- Actively participate in multiple work-groups at one time, and disseminating information across all levels of the organisation
- Review and contribute to technical documentation such as user guides, manuals system specifications and knowledge bases
- Contribute to continual service improvement by challenging, reviewing, updating and where inexistent creating, processes and procedures in order to drive operational excellence.
- Keeping up to date with current trends in IT
|Primary internal stakeholders|
- Database Operations Team
- Service Management Team
- Operation SME’s
|Primary external stakeholders|
Business Application Owners
- Off-shore Partners
- Previous experience as a SQL Database Administrator.
- Previous roles might include Development, Database Operator
- Proven experience with Database Administration for MSSQL Server 2008 through 2017; troubleshooting and resolving database problems, Performance Tuning and Optimization, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Expertise with backups, restores and recovery models. Knowledge and experience in High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server would be desirable. Always-On, FCI and AG Replication.
- Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts.
- Good understanding of indexes, index management, and statistics.
- Experience working with virtualised Windows environment
- Knowledge and or experience with management platforms (SCOM/SCCM) will be considered beneficial.
- Preferred certifications, but not required or limited to:
- ITIL Foundation
- Excellent communications skills
- Strong sense of ownership
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to influence and persuade
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Sense of urgency
- Focused to deliver best in class service
List 2-5 key measures/success criteria
- Low number of incidents due to Database platforms
- Prevent lost Business Hours
- No high/medium risks on technical platforms
- High alignment to Standards